My phone rang. It was Steve, our good friend from "back home" in Jackson.
Steve never calls me. The thought frightened me. It was only 9 am.
I answered.
"Laura Leigh. It's Steve. First of all, I miss you guys. But...you know there's a reason I'm calling."
I braced myself.
"Shanta died."
My heart sank. I felt like I had swallowed a lump of lead.
I listened to him recount the story: Shanta, sick with the flu, visited her doctor on Friday. He told her she had developed pneumonia and wanted to put her in the hospital to be safe. She entered, doing well (considering her sickness). She died the following morning around 3.
Shanta --- wow. Shanta was a beautiful person. She was the sheer essence of humility. She loved with a heart so large that sometimes you would almost expect it to burst from out of her. She was more of a mother to her two younger sisters who happen to be some of the dearest friends I've ever had the opportunity to make. She was a servant. She longed to glorify Christ with each step she made. She was young.
I had only gotten to know her within this past year through a production company/ministry we both were volunteering our time to. It felt like I had known her for years. She gave the best hugs. She always asked about my life. I never once heard her complain about a thing.
I sat motionless for a while. All I could think of were Christian and Charise, her two sisters - my friends - who must have been heartbroken. Shortly, the tears fell. But they didn't remain long.
As I sat and thought on it longer, my eyes began to be opened to something new. For the first time in my life, I began to understand what the Bible means when it says "O death, where is thy sting?" Sure, I was sad for the loss of a friend. I knew her family was hurting beyond comprehension. But I began to think about Shanta. Wow. She had to have been completely ecstatic to make it to the gates. She was finally at the feet of the One she spent her life serving! It was an unexpected trip -- the best kind! Even now, she still hasn't even had time to fathom the goodness of the God she is now spending an eternity with.
Death, as tragic as it may be, is not the end for those who believe. I understand that now. Shanta is still teaching me even though she is no longer physically present. Rather, God is teaching me.
Thank God that we have a hope. We have a future.
And in the words of one of the greatest women I've ever known - even if only for a short time - it certainly is a "Beautiful day!!"

No comments:
Post a Comment