Pages

.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

the one I should've written months ago.

You know what I love more than anything? Entertaining. That's why I love Theatre. My preferred genre is comedy. I love any outlet I have to give others a laugh. Laughter is the best medicine and others laughter is my best source of inspiration.

Facebook has been a big outlet for entertainment for me. I've literally contemplated a status for hours and re-written it several times before posting just to make sure it had its fullest comedic effect. If someone commented that I brightened their day or made them laugh, I counted it as worth it. I am not lying: I LOVE to make others laugh. Even at my own expense.

Unfortunately, sometimes this comes at the expense of my own productivity. I spend countless hours perusing facebook to provide a sarcastic jab or funny anecdote here and there when there are far better uses of my time. Lately, I've recognized the ridiculousness of my petty addiction to a social media platform with no tangible benefits.

A little background: For a while now, I've had an overwhelming sensation that there's something big out there for me. "Big" is a relative term. I'm not saying I'm headed to Hollywood. I'm just saying that I feel like I'm standing on the precipice of life change that can have a positive rippling effect. But I've known for a while that my Facebook habits are absolutely impeding that change from coming to fruition.

I've honestly felt God calling me to leave Facebook behind. And I've had some ridiculous excuses: "But, God, I don't see my family much. How can I share pictures of the boys or know what's going on with them? Isn't my desire to bring smiles a good thing? Can't Facebook be an extension of the calling you've placed in my life?" The answer is "no". It can't.

I've avoided abandoning Facebook because I am addicted to the praises of man. And that is wrong. There are some people who don't struggle with this. They can log on and log off any time they wish and not think a bit about it. I am not that person.

Facebook is a black hole of distractions. It has kept me from seeing Jacob make a goal when playing basketball. It's distracted me from conversations my husband is having with me. It's kept Silas waiting (very impatiently) for a cup of juice. It's been the "just 5 more minutes" that turns into 30 where I should've been meditating on the Word that I claim is the most important in my life.

Facebook is my idol. As humiliating as it is to say, it is true. I've allowed it to become that. I've allowed myself to compare my life to others virtual lives. It's caused discontentment, unnecessary arguing, anger, and kept me from growing in Christ the way I really long to.

For my non-believing friends who find this move completely ridiculous, I ask you to view it as you would an alcoholic who takes steps to become sober. They want something different for their lives. They don't want to waste it on something that will bring no eternal significance. Well, this is me making the same kind of commitment.

I want to see what Jesus can do with a woman who is willing to give up something she finds joy in, if He asks her to.

So, friends. This is my farewell to you on Facebook. I am nobody special so I doubt very much that I'll missed for long. You'll go about your days as normal. And I'll go about mine...just with a bit more purpose.

I'm inviting you to check in on my life here, at my blog. I plan to start posting a lot more often -- most of it will be the same light-hearted LL comedy you're used to. Some of it will be random ramblings you might have wished you hadn't wasted 5 minutes on. Whatever. I'll be writing. Pop in sometime.

 I also have an instagram account where I share incredibly adorable photos of my boys and our life: @llbadams. You can also find me on Twitter: @llbadams

Thanks for letting me tell you terribly unfunny jokes and validating my self-worth. Time to let Jesus do the rest. Catch you around. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment